Monday, January 21, 2013

First Day of School

So today I attended my first class at the University of Paris 7.  We're in what seems to be a brand new building -- they're still doing some work on the ground floor.  Everything's fancy and clean.  My instructor, M. Pierre-Henri Chaudouard (how's that for a French name?) is a younger man as professors go.  He also has pretty poor handwriting.  Especially during the first ten minutes of class or so, as he was apparently reviewing some of the things the class had done the week before, he war writing very quickly and I had trouble copying it down.  Once he started on the new material, things went smoother.  By the end of thr first hour, I had figured out most of the terms that he was using.  By the end of the two-hour class, I was feeling much more confident about my ability to handle the math in the class.  The notation is all the same and most of the technical terms are very similar to the English ones, with some exceptions that I have to look up tonight.  I didn't get a chance to talk with him directly today, but I will tomorrow or the next day.  I am also going to have to find out if "study groups" are a thing in France.  I have heard that student culture can be very different when you go to different countries.

It continues to be cold in Paris, and it's been snowing on and off for about three days now. I've been taking the subway system, which means that my transportation is not subject to delays due to weather, but it also means that I have some walking to do at the beginning and end of my trips.

I got some difficulties worked out as far as my French lessons go, so now I'll be taking a class in French grammar and a workshop on understanding spoken French and speaking in French, both of which are excellent classes for me to take right now.  I'm looking forward to it.

That's all I've got for now, see you again soon!

A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment